This section will provide you hopefully most of the essential informations and contacts you need to feel save during your stay at the island, like medical oder transportation services. If you like to have all the informations with you as a hardcopy get a print version of this page.
Banking & Money
There is just ONE Bank in Katapola – opposite to the ferry pier. Teller Machines can be found at following locations:
- Chora – close to the main parking lot
- Port of Katapola – opposite to the ferry pier
- Port of Aegiali – opposite to the ferry pier
Creditcards will not be accepted in all the taverns and shops!
Mobile Phone and WiFi
Your mobile phone will work nearly on the whole island.
On many public places, taverns, restaurants you can find free wifi-hotspots (see tag Wifi Access),
Discovering Amorgos means to be mobile. Amorgos offers a network of asphalt streets between all villages and a number of graveled roads.
- The local Bus service covers the main routes, timetable seasonally changes and can be found in main bus stations and supermarkets.
- You can find Taxis in the main villages and ports or call them to pick you up (see telephone numbers below).
- A number of Rental Services provide small cars, scooters and squads, this seems to be an appropriate way to reach most places of the island (daily car rates start at 20,- Euros/day). 2 Gas stations: on the street from Katapola to Chora and one in Aegiali (close to the Camp site.
- Once a day a local Ferry commutes between Katapola and Aegiali during the main season (timetable).
- Bicycles are rare and only used by island people within the villages. Rental bicycles can be found at Amorgos Diving Center
There is a main Health Center in Chora and some regional Medical Practices on the island (see telephone numbers below). Be aware: in case of severe diseases or injuries transport to the next hospital will be done by helicopter!
Also notice when you are hiking: take enough water with you, be careful and avoid any kind of riskful actions – emergency infrastructures on the island may not be organized that perfect than for example in the alps!
Note: Regional medical centres are only manned usually one morning a week.
Important Telephone Numbers
Country Code Greece: +30 > Island Area Code: 22850
|Katapola||Agricultural Bank of Greece||+30 22850 71871|
|Chora||Citizen Service Center|
|+30 22850 74100|
|Chora||Dental Surgery||+30 22850 74217|
|Katapola||Dental Surgery||+30 22850 71005|
|Chora||Development Company of Municipal Department||+30 22850 71257|
|Chora||Health Center of Amorgos||+30 22850 71207|
|Katapola||Medical Practice / Main||+30 22850 71805|
|Aegiali||Municipal Department||+30 22850 73350|
|Katapola||Municipal Department||+30 22850 71257|
|Arkesini||Municipal Department||+30 22850 72254|
|Tholaria||Municipal Department||+30 22850 73390|
|Vroutsi||Municipal Department||+30 22850 71361|
|Chora||Municipal of Amorgos Call Center|
|+30 22850 6020|
|Aegiali||Pharmacy||+30 22850 73173|
|Ormos||Pharmacy||+30 22850 74042|
|Chora||Police||+30 22850 71210|
|Aegiali||Police||+30 22850 73320|
|Tholaria||Medical Practice||+30 22850 73170|
|Arkensini||Medical Practice||+30 22850 72250|
|Vroutsi||Medical Practice||+30 22850 74070|
|Kolofana||Medical Practice||+30 22850 72330|
|Aegiali||Medical Practice||+30 22850 73222|
|Katapola||Taxi: Despotidis Antonis||+30 6944743090|
|Chora||Taxi: Kapele Ioannis||+30 6973 988702|
|Aegiali||Taxi: Lamnatos Staurus||+30 6932 103077|
|Aegiali||Taxi: Liviakis Nikos||+30 6937 883838|
|Aegiali||Port Authority||+30 22850 73620|
|Katapola||Port Authority||+30 22850 71259|
|Aegiali||Post Office||+30 22850 73037|
|Chora||Post Office||+30 22850 71250
|Katapola||Post Office||+30 22850 71496|