The remote location of Amorgos works like a natural filter. That’s why Amorgos is not “extra crowded” from weekend travellers.
Travel from Athens to Amorgos
The island is connected with Athens, port of Piraeus on the mainland and has ferry connections with the islands of Crete, Naxos, Syros, Paros, Koufonissi, Schinoussa, Donoussa and Astypalea.
The two ports on Amorgos where the ferries come in are Katapola and Aegiali (changes on even and odd days). The journey from port of Piraeus to one of these ports will last 7,5 hours and costs around 30 euros (economy class, one way) and 43 euros (business class, recommended!) – look for a comfortable place!
Please note: you will arrive at 02:00 am and have to leave at 06:00 am. Make sure your hotel pick-up or taxi service is arranged!
- Bus: express bus X96 leaves every 20 minutes during the day and every 40 minutes at night from the airports arrivals level (between doors 4 and 5) to Karaiskaki Square in Piraeus, right outside the ferry harbor. A ticket costs 5.00 Euros. The trip takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to one hour and a half.
- Metro: the metro (suburban rail) will take you from the airport to the end of the line which is Monastiraki metro station. There you change to line 1 (green line). The end of line one is the metro station of Piraeus just outside the entrance to the ferry harbor. Tickets are 6 € single fare, 10 € for 2 people and 15 € for three. The journey time from Athens International Airport to the harbor of Piraeus is about one hour. Trains are every half hour (:00 and :30) with the first one leaving the airport at 05:30 and the last one at 23:30. View Metro Map.
- Taxi: before your arrival you can book a taxi online. This is the most hassle free way as the driver will be waiting for you upon your arrival and you won’t have to wait for one on busy days – it takes you 45 to 60 minutes, price with reservation: 57 euros. If, however, you decide to take a taxi, make sure your read how do deal with taxis in Athens.
Port of Piraeus
- Port of Piraeus:general informations
- Hotels in Piraeus: TIP: we can recommend the affordable and close-to-port Hotel Delfini (ask for room no. 54 with terrace and great view)
If you have to stay overnight in Athens, the Athens Info Guide can be helpful. You should not miss a visit at the new Acropolis Museum: The New Acropolis Museum, which cost $200 million and sits near the base of the Acropolis with a direct view of the Parthenon, is one of the highest-profile cultural projects undertaken in Europe in this decade.
From Santorini to Amorgos
From Santorini Airport take a taxi – prebooking is available – to the Port of Santorini, it takes you 10 to 15 minutes to go there. Sea Jets Ferries offers a daily trip to Katapola/Amorgos, starting at 12:30 (please doublecheck) it’l take you 3 hours, the one-way-ticket is around 37 Euros per person.
From Naxos to Amorgos
There is a daily flight from Athens airport Eleftherios Venizelos to Naxos airport (Olympic Airlines departing at 09:00, arrival at 09:45, please doublecheck). The airport of Naxos is about 1km outside Chora Naxos port (also known as Naxos Town) and you may use one of the taxis outside the airport. The ferry trip from Naxos to Amorgos – one or two daily connections – will last 3 to 31/2 hours.